Tuesday, April 30, 2013

April 2013 Favorites


Well, it's May & my birthday is approximately 8 days away (the ninth). The thought of turning 25 is terrifying and sort of depressing. I felt the same way about turning 20 and it turned out ok in the end. I have work the day of so I'll be pretty well distracted & the weekend afterwards I'm planning on making ice cream & having a girls night.

Enough about my fear of aging, let's get on to my favorites for the month!

MAKEUP

 photo aprilbeautyfavefinal_zpsb3d97a60.jpg
top row (left to right) : nars 'douceur' blush // revlon 'peach parfait' lip butter // mac 'pure zen' lipstick // body shop 'mango' lip butter
bottom row (left to right): body shop 'coconut' body butter // hard candy 'tiki' so baked bronzer // nars sheer glow foundation 'mont blanc'


NARS 'DOUCEUR' BLUSH

As much as I normally like a little color in my cheeks, I've been favoring this blush above all others because the weather has been so unpredictable this spring. It's 84 one day and then drops into the 30's for three days. It's not winter, it's not spring. So instead of wearing corals and sweet pinks like it's spring or my berry and rose hues like it's winter, I've been opting for good old 'Douceur'. Read more about it in my review of it here.

REVLON 'PEACH PARFAIT' LIP BUTTER

I received a sample of this color in some Target beauty sample bag I got last year and I instantly fell in love with the sheer shimmery peach shade. Normally I'm not one for any sort of ~*sparkle*~ on my lips but since purchasing this shade I've really changed my tune about them. Wear -time is pretty standard. Since it's moisturizing and a little more sheer, you have to re-apply fairly often but you don't need a mirror or anything to apply it. It's just easy and pretty and if you want a better review of the Revlon Lip Butters, I recommend looking on youtube or googling it because these are fairly commonly reviewed. Bloggers freaked out about these when they first came out.

MAC 'PURE ZEN' LIPSTICK

I've been wearing this lipstick a lot when I'm not wearing 'Peach Parfait'. This is my lipstick I wear if I'm wearing a loud outfit or a lot of white. It's simple and when I first bought it I really didn't think I was going to get ANY use out of it. Nude lipsticks are not something I typically gravitate towards. But I bought because I thought it would be a bit darker & it was the only shade from the MAC Marilyn collection that looked like something I could wear. I don't wear red shades & that was predominantly what the collection was since it was Marilyn Monroe themed. But this shade is actually just the right amount of paleness and peach and pigment that when swiped over my fairly pigmented lips, it just tones them down and gives them a pale peach sheen. I really recommend this nude lipstick for anyone who's scared to try a nude lip. If I can do it, you can. Pinky swear.

THE BODY SHOP 'MANGO' LIP BUTTER

THIS. Ahh this smells so good. It smells like an orange dreamsicle. The only other thing I've bought that smelled this good was Bed Head's Self Absorbed Conditioner. I could smell that stuff all day. Anyways, this is the lip balm I have on my nightstand to use before I go to bed. I like that it doesn't have a taste so it doesn't mix with the taste of your toothpaste after just brushing your teeth. It's not the most moisturizing thing I've ever used but I like it pretty well and I added it to my basket to reach a certain price to use a voucher online. I've just been using it a lot and it smells AMAZING.

THE BODY SHOP 'COCONUT' BODY BUTTER

I never thought I would ever ever EVER use anything coconut scented but this honestly doesn't even really smell that coconut-y to me. Maybe it smells like sugary toasted coconut. I don't know. All I know is it smells good and it has the same intense hydrating & softening properties as my beloved Brazil Nut Body Butter. Both are made by The Body Shop so I guess I shouldn't be surprised-- but now that the Brazil Nut scent has been discontinued and the formula will be changed or something (I don't know) at least I have an alternative that I like.

HARD CANDY SO BAKED BRONZER IN 'TIKI'

I recently reviewed this "bronzer" (here), but the short of it is that it's more of a highlighter. And hot-dog, it is pretty. Super subtle sheen & it's supposedly a $9 dupe for Dior's Amber Diamond. I've basically used this everyday I've worn makeup since I bought it. My poor sweet NARS Albatross feels so unloved and looked-over I'm sure.

NARS SHEER GLOW FOUNDATION IN 'MONT BLANC'

I have both a full review (here) & a mini vs review (here) of this marvelous foundation up. I originally thought I would be happier with NARS Sheer Matte foundation since my skin is combination-oily & normally matte foundations just last longer on my skin. But it turns out that Sheer Glow is easier to blend and doesn't come across super 'dewy' like I was worried it would. I just swipe a bit of powder over it and it's a bit more matte. I wear the shade 'Mont Blanc' which is perfect for anyone super pale with pink/cool undertones. This is the closest foundation match to my skin that I've ever come across. I love this foundation. I'm glad I got it during Sephora's Chicweek 15% off deal they had going on. I only paid $35 & I know it'll last me for quite a while!


MISC.

 photo iphonecharger_zps5b89c8a5.jpg

After seeing this cell phone dock on Anthropologie, I decided I needed it since I have a really strong dislike of exposed cords (looks like a hot mess) and it's practical and uhhh it's precious.

But no way in hell am I gonna pay $60 for a book with a cord in it. So I looked on pinterest for a DIY & found this tutorial. I bought my vintage Nancy Drew book on etsy for around $4(here here or here) but you could really use any book you think is pretty or matches your decor. Then I asked my dad if he could lend me his exacto blade (never mind I'm an artist and I probably have one somewhere in my apartment) while I was visiting & he offered to make it for me! Win win I say.

So now I have this awesome phone dock & conversation piece! I'm already trying to decide on a book to use for the next charger for our living room. Hmmm...

-Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment