Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Top 5 Favorite Lip Products

I was getting ready to review a lip product that's been a favorite of mine for about a year & I realized it would be so much easier to just do a top five!

 photo fivelipsticks_zpsd38d2b4f.jpg
left to right: 'peach parfait' revlon lip butter // 'pure zen' mac cremesheen // 'stormy pink' revlon // 'rose' fresh sugar lip treatment // 'dolce vita' nars

I prefer my lip products to have a light - medium wash of color rather than bold bold bold and thick. I think part of this is because I'm a redhead with a very pink skin-tone & it's very easy for my lipstick to look gaudy or wash out the rest of my features. My eyebrows & eyelashes are basically invisible without makeup so I try to naturally enhance them but even after makeup they don't exactly stand out. I don't even wear black eyeliner because it just washes me out so bad.

So if you're looking for bold opaque lip colors to try out, I am not going to be ANY help at all. I would suggest these resources:
a thunder heart // essiebutton // temptalia

All ladies who love some bold lips & have the features to carry them off without a hitch!

Anyways, back to my favorites! These are in no particular order. I wear all of them equally as often.

 photo revlonbutter_zps53b6715b.jpg
peach parfait photo peachparfait02_zps748eaeb2.jpg
revlon lip butter - 'peach parfait'

I have SO MANY lip butters. I actually have a post that I'm currently working on about the stupid amount of lip butters I own. Only half of them even look sort of okay on me. But that's what happens when there's a sale and you have a coupon and you don't do any research before wandering into the CVS at midnight. Sigh. Anyways, 'peach parfait' was the third or fourth lip butter I tried & has been my favorite and most used by far. Normally I really hate lipsticks and glosses with any sort of shimmer or glitter in them but this just looks so pretty and flattering on the lips. It's fairly moisturizing and feels more like a chapstick than a lipstick. There are so many reviews for lip butters out there you probably don't need one more from me.

 photo maccc_zps31911040.jpg
mac photo mac_zps2b31cb55.jpg
mac - pure zen

I reviewed this lipstick in a favorites post & something else but it's such a great peachy-nude lipstick. Honestly, do yourself a favor & go try it on at a MAC store. Make sure you're wearing a neutral dusrty blush or something semi peachy or it will clash & you won't like it. I made that mistake the first few times I tried to wear it. Also I know this has the limited edition Marilyn Monroe packaging but they sell this lipstick year round normally.

 photo revlonstorm_zps6a7ba485.jpg
stormypink photo stormypink_zpsa0cdae18.jpg
revlon - stormy pink

I had this lipstick almost 6 months before I figured out how to use it. It definitely requires a lip primer or a balm before putting it on because it's a matte formula & can look bad if your lips are dry or patchy. But I LOVE IT. The color is so flattering & isn't too milky so it's easy to wear & this is an excellent dupe for NARS 'Roman Holiday' -- BUT they have completely different finishes. 'Roman Holiday' has a glossy finish & 'Stormy Pink' has a matte finish but you could definitely run a gloss over 'stormy pink' and it would look identical to 'roman holiday' since they're nearly the exact same color.

 photo freshsugar_zpsdb13f0eb.jpg
freshsugar photo sugarfresh_zps542d7ae1.jpg
fresh sugar lip treatment - rose

This is probably the lipstick I wear the most. Granted this is more of a tinted chapstick than a lipstick, but whatever. I use it too frequently not to mention it. I've already blown through two mini sample versions of this lip treatment & I've just started on the full size that my dad bought me earlier this year. This is a super moisturizing balm with the prettiest rose tint I've ever seen. It basically just makes me look like I'm not wearing anything on my lips, my lips just naturally look that pretty and hydrated which is something I feel like most everyone wants when they're going for a subtle look. I wear this even when I'm not wearing makeup because it's so subtle but so so pretty. HOWEVER at $22.50 a pop, I could see why this isn't something you would run out and buy --but if you've got a birthday coming up & you have a Sephora VIB card, you should be able to get mini versions of this and the clear one for free as a birthday gift from Sephora. DO IT. And if you don't like it, SEND YOUR MINI TO ME.

 photo narsd_zpscc3b1c1f.jpg
nars photo nars_zpsdd31b5d9.jpg
nars - dolce vita

This is the ultimate 'my lips but better' lipstick. This is a bump up from the Fresh Sugar Rose lip treatment in that it's an actual sheer lipstick with the ability to build up more color. I definitely would recommend this as a gift for someone just getting into makeup or for someone who likes subtle neutral colors on their face as it is a universally flattering & easy to wear lip color. I love this lipstick so so much & the formula is amazing. It's another sheer lipstick similar to NARS 'Roman Holiday' & both spread so easily onto the lips with a really intense wash of color. I love these lipsticks! I want more but $26 is a lot for a lipstick (which is why I only have two).


Welp, that's it!

Hopefully you enjoyed this & won't mind another feature similar to this, I really like these mini reviews!


-Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment