Monday, April 9, 2012

Pulled Pork Sandwiches & Rainbow Slaw


I love pulled pork sandwiches and coleslaw. It's an odd choice of comfort food in that I haven't actually liked barbeque for very long and I'm not actually a big fan of pork.

It's strange to think that as a kid I hated barbeque, though I think it's because I hadn't found a BBQ sauce that I liked. I'm more partial to vinegar-y tasting sauces, and most of the time if you go out for barbeque in Texas, the sauce is more on the sweet side.

Anyways, I bought a crock-pot/slow cooker a week or so ago and I'd been itching to use it. I'm gone for work until late some nights and there's no opportunity to cook when I get home, so having something already made and hot that Ryan can eat when he gets home from class sounded like a dream come true.

So when Taylor mentioned she'd found a really great recipe on Pinterest that was super easy (only 4 ingredients!) and made for the crock-pot, I tried it.


I'm soso glad I did, especially since I was side-eyeing the part about adding a can of diet pepsi to the mix. It was so good! And it made enough for lunch today and maybe a bit extra! The only thing I changed about the recipe was that I used Stubb's regular BBQ sauce instead of the one they recommended, because I wanted a less sweet tasting pulled pork.


As for the coleslaw, I just used a rainbow slaw mix I got at the grocery store (it has broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and red cabbage). I prefer the rainbow slaw to regular cabbage slaw mix because you're getting more vitamins and a better variety of veggies, especially since you're not really eating something particularly healthy. Then I mix just a little bit of Marzetti's coleslaw dressing in, salt and pepper it, and voila!

pulled pork recipe via Sweet & Savory Food blog

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you liked it. It's nerve-wracking suggesting recipes to someone who cooks as good as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with your cups on etsy! Do you do international shipping? Also linked you on my blog. Beautiful paintings ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. @athunderheart

    Aww. ;u; Taylor, you so sweet. Your cooking is delicious and I wish I had the opportunity to eat it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kate

    I responded at your blog, but I thought I would respond here too. Thank you again for featuring me on your blog!

    ReplyDelete