Monday, April 30, 2012

Movie Monday - Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Photobucket

Based on a play by Tennessee Williams and starring Elizabeth Taylor, Paul Newman, & Burl Ives, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is a movie about a dysfunctional southern family. Maggie "The Cat" and her husband, Brick are visiting his parents for his father's 60th birthday party because it's suspected he's dying of cancer. The strain on their marriage is slowly revealed throughout the movie, piece by piece revealing itself to the viewer. I know that there were homosexual themes in the play that were completely removed from the movie, which is a real shame. I feel like it really would have added a lot to the movie and would have explained a LOT of things. Plus, I hate it when movies disregard a huge theme or portion present in the original book or play. But, it's a sign of the times. As are a few other things in this movie.

Photobucket
Photobucket

I think what initially drew me into watching this movie was that I knew it was set in Mississippi in the 1950s. My mother's side of the family is from Mississippi and I spent about half of my childhood there, 8 hours away from Houston- in Jackson. Two of the towns my mom lived in when she was growing up in were actually film locations for 'The Help' (Greenwood & Jackson for anyone who cares).

Photobucket
Photobucket

The movie is beautiful. The colors and scenery are amazing and the authenticity of the inner workings of a family with a lot of problems, is truly amazing. I'm really interested in seeing or reading the play.

Photobucket
Photobucket

All in all, it's worth a watch. I watched it on Netflix, but I'm sure if you have cable, you can probably watch it on TCM or something.

"Maggie the cat is alive! I'm alive!"

-Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment