Monday, February 27, 2012

Vintage Wants

I have a few items that I'm always on the lookout for when I'm thrifting or antique shopping. Apparently they're either bizarrely uncommon in north Texas or I'm just unlucky, because I have not been able to find any of them anywhere but online. And unfortunately I hate buying vintage things online. The shipping is always ridiculous and I always feel like I'm somehow being scammed.

This probably stems from the fact that last year I won a BEAUTIFUL antique agate locket necklace on ebay for $30! 30! Look them up, you're lucky if you can find one for less than $100. And of course, it got lost in the mail, never to be found again. British post said it was in America and it was out of their jurisdiction and the USPS said it was still in Britain and out of their control. "Tough luck, kid."

So I just really don't like buying one of a kind items online. I have too many control issues to not obsess over where the package is at all times.

Obviously it doesn't stop me from scouring the internet for vintage stuff anyways.


1. Vintage Stand-Mixers


I love the appliance colors of the 50's. The turquoise and pale pink, buttery yellow and mint green. My kitchen theme is totally based off of these colors. I throw red in too so it doesn't seem too easter-eggy though.


My goal is to find 4 of these to display in my kitchen somehow. Most of the houses I've lived in or visited have a lot of empty space above their cabinets and most are filled with vials of oils with peppers soaking in them or fake fruit and greenery. If I happen to have those spaces, I want old stand mixers to be displayed up there.


one two three


2. Vintage Melmac Lunch Trays


I plan on having kids and if they are even a fraction like me, they will have the worst case of butterfingers anyone has ever known. I drop everything. So, I'd rather them eat off of awesome old lunch trays than breakable plates. Plus, I love the aesthetic. I'm hoping to eventually find a set of mint colored ones, preferably 4 or 5. Hah, we'll see.



3. Celluloid Hand Mirrors


I actually already have a small collection of these. I remember seeing Katie's (from I go by Katie) collection and I fell in love with the aesthetic she had created on her wall with them. I copied her idea and started collecting and displaying my celluloid mirrors.


I haven't bought any new ones in awhile since I normally have to buy them online or in an antique shop since I've never actually run across one in a thrift store.


This is something pretty affordable and normally you can find a better deal on ebay but I hate posting ebay links since it's more likely that they'll be sold before an etsy listing.


one two three four


Eventually I'll find all of these things. But for now it's nice just looking.

-Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment