Monday, February 20, 2012

Movie Monday - Bunny & the Bull

Bunny & the Bull, starring Edward Hogg, Simon Farnaby, and Madeleine Worrall.

I actually really love this movie, but I feel like I haven't loved it long enough for it to become one of my favorites. I watch my favorite movies & tv shows hundreds of times, sometimes three times within a day. And until I've done that for a long period of time, it's hard to categorize it as anything other than a good movie that I liked. I'm bad about being really into something for months and months and then suddenly never wanting to look at it again.

I think this movie could easily be a movie I love and want to re-watch forever, but I also thought that about Little Miss Sunshine and I was wrong.

The movie starts off introducing you to Stephen Turnbull, an obsessive compulsive shut in who hasn't left his apartment in a year. Through a series of flashbacks all re-enacted within the walls of his apartment, the story leading up to his eventual isolation from the rest of the world is slowly revealed.


The movie is really beautiful visually. Using stacks of newspaper, snowglobes, and other items from Stephen's cluttered, albeit organized apartment, we see him travel across Europe with his best friend, Bunny.  And the story, while truly funny and a bit bizarre, is ultimately very heart-wrenching and relate-able.


The humor is similar to The Mighty Boosh, if you've ever seen it on Adult Swim. If you haven't, I highly recommend it. It's British humor, (which is apparently different from American humor?) so take that into account I suppose. I don't really know, funny is funny to me but maybe I'm dense. Granted, I recommend lots of things to my friends and it's always hit or miss. Either my tastes are really eclectic or my standards are too low? Whatever, I like what I like, no apologies made.


It's not family friendly though, I'm pretty sure you see Bunny's privates in a scene but I didn't really commit it to memory so I can't guarantee that. But there is quite a bit of "foul" language (haha) and other stuff.


But ultimately, the movie is really beautiful and touching, while still being really funny. It explores the complexities of friendship and the strange happenings of life, while telling a cute love story.


It's available on netflix now or, if you're feeling daring, you could always roll the dice and purchase it on Amazon.

Let me know if you check it out. I'd love to know what you thought of it!

-Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment