Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Review: Revlon Colorstay Matte Balm Stain in 'Sultry'


 photo photo5final_zpsdfd087aa.jpg

There has been a lot of hype on youtube about all of the new fall drugstore releases. This includes the Revlon Colorstay Matte & Lacquer Balm Stains. I spent the last month scouring every drugstore & supermarket in my area for ANYTHING new...and came up empty handed each and every time. Then last week I was in my local Kroger buying groceries with Ryan and saw the display from afar. It felt like the world was going in slow motion as I approached the display, I clutched a fist-full of balm stains in my sweaty little hands, fell to my knees and cried tears of joy.

Okay, maybe not. But I was really excited. I also picked up a few L'Oreal La-Laques & I think I'll review them soon.

 photo photo3_zps05518e04.jpg

But back to the new Revlon Balm Stains...I only bought one matte one because I was unsure of what colors would look good on me and I've heard A LOT of mixed reviews on these. A lot of people really like the matte formula and hate the lacquer one because some of the shades have large chunks of glitter in them. Since I'm not a huge fan of glitter I decided to go for the matte color 'Sulty'. You can tell the difference between the matte balm stains and the lacquer ones because the matte packaging is...well, matte & the lacquer ones are shiny.

 photo photo2_zps32605420.jpg

'Sultry' is a reddish brown cranberry sort of color and seemed perfect for the fall and winter months. I was a little worried it would look too dark with my fair complexion but I really love the way it looks on. When I initially applied it, I was amazed at how velvety it felt on my lips & that it didn't pull on my lips or feel really crayon-y like some matte lipsticks can feel. The application & feel of it reminded me a lot of my NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil which has SUCH a wonderful formula. But since it's both matte & contains menthol which is what gives it that lovely minty taste and smell, I assumed it would be pretty drying on the lips. I was surprised when I rubbed my lips together it felt smooth and velvety/buttery for the first hour or so. The color stayed on my lips for around three hours and faded to a stain on my lips for the rest of the day. I definitely felt like my lips were dry after a few hours & re-applied it along with some lip balm. It didn't feather or smudge or move anywhere after I applied it, so you don't need to babysit it really. I hate lip products you have to babysit. No thanks.

 photo 03_zps3202c889.jpg

So basically, if you don't mind re-applying lip products-- I think 'Sultry' is a nice addition to any lipstick collection. It looks and feels really amazing for the first few hours & leaves a nice even stain afterwards. I personally feel like it's a unique color but maybe I'm making that up... I never thought to buy a color like this until now & I just think it looks really beautiful on and totally puts me in the holiday spirit!



Have you tried any of the new drugstore products that have come out for the fall/winter? Any faves?

-Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment